How can I get closer to JESUS?
This is a question that Christians all over the world keep asking. Since we learned in Romans 8:38 that nothing can separate us from the love of GOD in CHRIST JESUS, can we then assume that JESUS wants us to be in a very close, intimate, fiery relationship with him? Of course he does! JESUS created you, he knows you, and he loves you even more then he loved his own life, which he gave up on the cross in a terrible death for you. This is just a small example of how important it is to JESUS that you have a very close relationship with him.
(Romans 8 – 38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.)
Since we know that JESUS does want us to be in a close, personal relationship with him, let me share with you some real life examples of just how simple it is to get into a passionate, intimate, close relationship with our LORD JESUS.
- Lets use our imagination now for a few minutes while I show you a very simple way of getting closer to JESUS. So in this story, there is a man named john, and he doesn’t have any friends. So john goes to church on Sunday a little bit earlier than normal, thinking maybe he would walk up to a Christian woman and start up a new friendship. So John goes to church on Sunday and walks up to a young lady named Susan and says hello. Of course Susan says hello back, and they continue to talk for 20 minutes waiting for the church service to start. After church, they exchange phone numbers and John promises to call Susan tonight after dinner time. After dinner, John calls Susan on the telephone and they talk for hours and hours. During this time, they talked about work and their careers, they also talked about the bible and some of their various beliefs that they share about JESUS and salvation. They continued to talk even more about what foods they like to eat, what movies they enjoy watching, and many many other things too. During this 3 hour talk, John and Susan were getting to know each other better and better.
TALK TO JESUS!
While we use talking to a man or woman as an excellent tool to getting to know them better and better, WE CAN DO THE SAME WITH JESUS. Let’s talk to JESUS all the time as much as we can day and night. Some might ask, what would we talk to JESUS about? Well the answer would be the same as with anyone else in life. Let’s talk to him about our job situation. Lets share with him how we are feeling today or tonight. Talk to JESUS about your bible questions or any other spiritual questions you might have. Share everything in your life with JESUS on a daily basis, and by doing this you will get to know him real well in a close, personal, fiery, passionate relationship. TALKING TO JESUS is one of the best ways to build up a very personal relationship with him.
- Now let’s go back to our pretend story for a moment. As the weeks went by, John continued to call Susan on the telephone after work on a nightly basis. So as time went by they were able to get to know each other better and better working towards a very close relationship. As they were able to get to know each other better and better, they started to share more and more. Some nights they laughed together, some nights they cried together, and many nights they shared some of their inner most secrets and desires that were burning in their hearts.
WE CAN DO THE SAME WITH JESUS.
As time goes by and you continue to talk with JESUS on a regular basis, it will become easier and easier for you to share more of your inner heart and soul with JESUS. If you continue your communication with JESUS, you will find it easier to laugh with him, you will find it easier to cry with him, and you will also find that it becomes easier and easier to open up your heart to him too. NOW YOUR WELL on your way to working on a close, intimate relationship with JESUS.
- OK, back to our story now. Two months have gone by and during this time John and Susan have talked on the phone every single night. As they share their hearts and minds with each other on a nightly basis, they are slowly falling in love with each other.
FALLING IN LOVE
While you continue to spend time with JESUS day and night the very best you can, something very very wonderful will start to happen. YOU WILL NOTICE THAT YOUR FALLING IN LOVE WITH JESUS. JESUS is so wonderful and so incredible, that you will FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM more and more by just merely spending time with him.
OK SOUNDS GOOD SO FAR BUT WHAT IS NEXT?
- Back to our story. John sometimes surprises Susan and while he is at work, he goes on his work computer and sends a wonderful email to Susan for encouragement. Sometimes he would even surprise her with a beautiful poem expressing how he feels about her. And sometimes he would even email her a message just thanking her for her friendship and support that she gives to him.
EXPRESSING WONDERFUL MESSAGES TO JESUS
Many times while we are talking with JESUS throughout the day and night, we can surprise him with a beautiful message too. we can also copy what John does in the above story to his friend Susan, and make up a intimate poem to express how we feel about JESUS. We can thank JESUS on a regular basis for the encouragement he gives us and for the blessings that he rains down on us on a daily basis. We can also thank JESUS for all of the wonderful things that he gives us and has done for us throughout our lives. By practicing these wonderful messages with JESUS during the day and night, your friendship with him will take on some intimacy and passion. Continue to share these wonderful messages with JESUS and watch how your entire life and relationship with JESUS starts to change for the better and better.
- John calls Susan on the phone and invites her out on a date to get some coffee at a local Starbucks. As they sit down real close to each other sipping coffee, John reaches out to hold her hand. As they hold hands, John stares into Susan’s eyes and tells her how wonderful she looks and how special she is to him. John whispers to Susan just how much better his life has been since he met her and how much better he feels inside since they met that day in church 2 months ago. He says to Susan, before I met you I was lonely and depressed from time to time, but now with you in my life I feel sooooo much better.
JOHN REALLY ENJOYS HAVING QUIET TIME WITH SUSAN
Now imagine this for a moment; John calls Susan on the telephone and asks her if she would like to drive with him in the car to the top of the mountain overlooking the entire city below with all of its bright lights shining brightly…… Well Susan says yes of course I would love to go with you, come pick me up right away; John picks her up at her house, and they drive up the mountain to the very top where there is a special parking spot where they can look out over the entire city. John parks the car now, and holds Susan’s hand tightly as they both stare out over the huge city below. What seemed like only minutes has turned out to be two hours as they both hold hands and whisper softly to each other while they look at all of the lights shining out over the entire city. John thinks to himself privately just how precious this quiet time with Susan is, and how much he appreciates this time with her.
Did you know you can do the exact same thing with JESUS? Let me explain. I cannot tell you how much fun it is to lay down in bed, and close your eyes, and put out your hand so as to hold JESUS’ hand, and spend 30 minutes to 1 hour of quiet time with GOD’S SON. I have really learned to enjoy this quiet time more and more. With your eyes closed holding JESUS’ hand, you can imagine that you are both at the beach, or sitting on top of a beautiful waterfall, or sitting on top of a mountain over looking the entire city below. The sky is the limit when you use your imagination, and because the LORD knows everything, he knows exactly what you are doing in your mind and he MAKES HIS PRESENCE REALLY THERE WITH YOU………………. I cannot tell you how much this quiet time with JESUS will bless you and even speed up the process of the LORD turning your entire life around to him. Remember though this is quite time, so turn off your telephones, music and TV’s AND you will be sooooo blessed by spending quiet time with JESUS.
HOLDING JESUS’ HAND
You might be asking how can I hold JESUS’ hand? It is actually quite simple and a lot of fun to hold hands with GOD. Here is a example of what JESUS himself has taught me that I would like to share with you now. Try this – sit down on your couch and close your eyes. Now with your eyes closed, imagine JESUS sitting next to you on the couch. Of course he is smiling because not only does he love you, but he is also very happy when you spend time with him. Now with your eyes closed, put out your hand and gently hold his. See yourself in your mind holding his hand. As you see yourself holding his hand in your mind, now really imagine that you can feel his hand there. Wow this is such a wonderful thing to do on a regular basis!!!!! You might be asking yourself now why is this so wonderful to do? Let me share with you that when you put out your hand to hold JESUS’ hand, HE IS REALLY THERE!!. And when you hold GODS hand in your car while you’re driving, or on your couch when your alone, or at work on one of your breaks this will really bring the presence of GOD into your life and you will start to feel HIS presence right next to you more and more as you continue to practice this.
NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO?
While your holding hands with JESUS, tell JESUS just how much better your life has been since you have been talking with him daily. Hold his hand real tight and tell him how special he is to you. Whisper to the LORD JESUS how your depression and sadness are going away as you CONTINUE to keep a close relationship with him. What a incredible experience this will be for you when you hold hands with GOD and tell him such wonderful and intimate sentences from your heart and soul.
It has been 6 months and John asks Susan to marry him. Susan says yes!!!! The wedding day finally arrives after much anticipation and waiting. The couple is married by their pastor and all of the guests eat the wedding cake as they celebrate this brand new union of a man and woman becoming one. That night per the Holy Bible the couple is now allowed to become one physically too. So John and Susan on their wedding night have become one body – soul and spirit!!!!
HOW CAN WE LOVE JESUS THE WAY John & Susan made LOVE on their WEDDING NIGHT?
It is so simple!!!! Once again it is a lot of fun, let me explain. GOD who is JESUS is a spirit. So therefore, we LOVE JESUS in the spiritual realm. But how can we do that?
THROUGH WORSHIPING and PRAISING JESUS with all of our heart and soul and tears. When we worship JESUS we are loving JESUS, and when we love JESUS his love comes back to us just like a tidal wave. As we LOVE JESUS through worshiping him, JESUS starts to inhabit the worshiping and praise that we are doing. THIS IS ONE WAY THAT WE BECOME ONE WITH JESUS.
1). We worship JESUS with all of our heart and soul and tears.
2). JESUS inhabits our worship and his love comes pouring back into our being.
We are loving JESUS, and he is loving us, and living in our worship. Now we are becoming one with JESUS through our worshiping and praising of him.
FINALLY – READING THE BIBLE
Another great and very powerful way to get closer to JESUS is by reading about him. As we read the bible on a daily basis, we will learn about the character of JESUS. We will also learn about his personality and read very clearly how he handled himself during many different kinds of situations presented to him. What a wonderful way to get closer to JESUS!!. The more we read about him the more we will learn about him. Of course, the more we learn about JESUS the better we will get to know him. Read the bible as much as you can each day and learn how wonderful our GOD is. The power of reading the bible is just beyond belief. You will notice as you read the bible how the presence of GOD is in your room actually inhabiting the bible reading. You will notice great amounts of peace in your room and in your soul and mind as you continue to read the bible. People all over the world have become born again just by merely reading the bible. The bible is not a book, it is GOD’S OWN HOLY WORD and it is alive. The bible is alive because JESUS is alive. The bible is the word of GOD and JESUS is the word of GOD made flesh…….. Ohhh yes people the power of the bible goes far, far beyond mere words could ever explain.
REMINDER on HOW to get CLOSER to JESUS
1). Talk to JESUS all the time.
2). Share your heart with JESUS all the time.
3). Give JESUS wonderful loving messages every day and night.
4). Hold JESUS’ hand all the time and enjoy that private time with him.
5). Worship JESUS with all of your heart and soul and tell the LORD how much you love him.
6). Read and study the bible as much as you possibly can! Ask JESUS to help you to love the bible more and more and he will do this for you!
7). Enjoy having quiet time with JESUS every single day for 30 to 60 minutes and watch how your life will be changed by spending this quiet and intimate time with GOD…….
I know that if you practice everything you have learned in this article that in no time at all you will be in a very close, and intimate relationship with JESUS based on intimacy, passion and LOVE FOR THE LORD.